Friday, March 09, 2007

art is...


groove 2


rp: instrumental programming









"Art is a selective re-creation of reality according to an artist's metaphysical value-judgments. An artist recreates those aspects of reality which represent his fundamental view of man's nature." (Marcel Proust)

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up. ... The artist is a receptacle for the emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider's web. ... The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ... We all know that art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth. ... From the moment that art ceases to be food that feeds the best minds, the artist can use his talents to perform all the tricks of the intellectual charlatan. Most people can today no longer expect to receive consolation and exaltation from art. The 'refined,' the rich, the professional 'do-nothings', the distillers of quintessence desire only the peculiar, the sensational, the eccentric, the scandalous in today's art. I myself, since the advent of Cubism, have fed these fellows what they wanted and satisfied these critics with all the ridiculous ideas that have passed through my mind. The less they understood them, the more they admired me. Through amusing myself with all these absurd farces, I became celebrated, and very rapidly. For a painter, celebrity means sales and consequent affluence. Today, as you know, I am celebrated, I am rich. But when I am alone, I do not have the effrontery to consider myself an artist at all, not in the grand old meaning of the word: Giotto, Titian, Rembrandt, Goya were great painters. I am only a public clown - a mountebank. I have understood my time and have exploited the imbecility, the vanity, the greed of my contemporaries. It is a bitter confession, this confession of mine, more painful than it may seem. But at least and at last it does have the merit of being honest." (Pablo Picasso)

"every media of human expression that conveys spiritual truth" (Rodger Pegues)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dno't konw waht tihs is tyrnig to be. It suondns lkie a big jbulme of ntoes to me, mcuh leki waht yuor'e rdanieg rhgit now. Waht the hlel is it?, bcuseae it ian't vrey msauicl or jzazy. I cdnuolt blveiee how un-amzanig it is. As a mttaer of ftac, I dno't lkie it at all. You mhgit wnat to tnihk auobt tkinag it dwon all tgehtor. As a mttaer of fcat, you sulhod jsut tkae it off rghit now.

rp said...

I thought all it needed was a decent synth solo............

Das said...

Art is a way of seeing and a way of giving new eyes to our non-artist friends. Art can only be made by the individual who at the time of making art only considers the totality of his individual expression (that is he is not expressing the will of Nation of Islam or Pan Africa or world Christendom); the artist's relationship with the world is different from any other relationship - art asks, "what is it like to be that thing - the butterfly, the seal, the ogre, the king - what have you - art makes demands on the imagination and creativity that only the individual can supply...

Das said...

rp...that's why I got a bit irritated with your brother's totally bourgeois definition of art...something about having to do with refreshing...something or rather...it struck me as totally philistine...

rp said...

I can't say what it is.....but I know
when I feel it...

bourgeois said...

The truth will set you free... But first it will irritate you.

Anonymous said...

bourgeois,

You got your hand stuck in the cookie jar and can't seem to get it out. Let go of a few cookies and free yourself; Hope it doesn't hit you like an earthquake but you don't possess the truth about art, what it is or isn't. Outright false statements also irritate; pomposity irritates, dogma irritates, claimants to the truth -who believe they alone posssess it - irritate...